Monday, January 21, 2008

When I Grow Up...

Do you remember what you wanted to be when you grew up? I remember wanting to be either a teacher or an actress. There were probably other career possibilities along the way, too. I seem to recall wanting to go to Harvard and becoming a lawyer, but that plan quickly died when I realized it would require eight more years of school after high school.

Kai is getting to the point in his life where he talks about what he wants to be. Some of his ideas are surprising, to say the least. A couple of years ago, he wanted to be a scientist who looks for nanochips. Whatever those are. Then, he wanted to go to community college and then get a job at either Sonic Drive-In or Pizza Hut. He said he would promise me that if he worked at Pizza Hut, my pizza would always be delivered hot and on time (but not free, apparently). He had his slacker phase last year when he said he just wanted to be a hobo and live on a train. Are there still hobos? Do they still ride the rails? Hmm... Lately though, he's come up with a couple of diverse and interesting career choices. The first one is to become a pro football player, but he doesn't want to play for the Chiefs, because they 'suck'. He's got a point. Tonight at dinner, he said that he wanted to work at a seniors center. He said that he would be the lifeguard at the pool in the seniors center, and if any of the old people got out of line, he would make them get out of the pool and run laps. Naked. I tried to explain to him (while trying not to laugh or smile) that it wouldn't be right to make the elderly run, especially without clothing. That wouldn't be good for anyone. Plus, the elderly probably couldn't really run all that well; the best that some of them might be able to manage would be a fast shuffle.

I guess I should just be happy that he's taking an interest in his future, but I don't think I was prepared for his less than traditional choices. Someday, about 10 or 12 years from now, if you're in a seniors center and you see some naked old people running around the pool, you'll know that Kai has fulfilled his dream!

1 comment:

Christine the Hoff said...

Hi, Kelley, it's me, christine the hoff!
Kai is adorable, nice job with your blog!
I am still going to be a rockstar when I grow up.
Love ya!