Sunday, February 10, 2008

Awesomely Bad Food

Yesterday, the boys and I went to an estate sale at a house a few blocks from home. The house had lots of great stuff, and as yesterday was the last day of the sale, everything was half price. Score! Whenever we go to an estate sale, I always head for the kitchen first. I love to find antique copper molds, maybe an interesting dish of some sort or maybe some vintage linens. The best thing to find is, though, vintage cookbooks.

I love vintage cookbooks for many reasons. First, they give you a glimpse into the way people used to live. A cookbook from the 1950's for example, shows us that in the post-war United States, the wife was still making the majority of meals at home and from scratch. Using frozen and store bought canned vegetables was still a fairly new concept for many families. Second, the pictures in these cookbooks, especially the color ones, are so spectacularly awful, you have to wonder how anyone could have been inspired to make these dishes to begin with.

From time to time, I'll be posting pics from my vintage cookbooks, and if there are some truly good recipes (and trust me, there are), I'll be posting them,too.

Today, we'll start with a picture from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 1953 edition. Got friends coming over for some wingding? Why not impress them with this spread-



Sweet Lord. Where to start. Ok, according to BHG, from right to left, we've got deviled eggs, cream puffs filled with chicken salad, and for the kiddies, pretzel pops. Simply spear a halved olive and a cube of cheese on a pretzel stick. What? Oh, that thing in the middle? That is a 'liver sausage pineapple'. No, you don't want to know how to make it. Fine, but don't say I didn't warn you. Mix 1lb. of liver sausage with lemon juice, worcestershire sauce and mayonnaise. Shape this mess around a jelly jar. Notice the lovely sheen on the liver-apple up there? That comes from the 'frosting' you make for it. Unflavored gelatin and more mayonnaise. God. Top with a real pineapple top if you made it through making the thing without retching.

2 comments:

STACY'S TRIP said...

i love reading your life.....great stuff.

Lurker Girl said...

oh my--who wouldn't want a tasty bite of that pineapple delight?

Eww--I think I just threw up in my mought a little.

ok Kelley--I went and did it:
http://lurkergirlsguide.blogspot.com/