Monday, February 25, 2008

Just Another Manic Monday

Everyone was especially zombie-like at work today. A typical Monday morning at the bank. I daydreamed all the way to work about stopping at Scooters for a white mocha latte with a shot of raspberry. And a chocolate-chocolate chip muffin to go with it. Man, those muffins are good! Especially if you warm them up for about 15 seconds in the microwave. Mmm....but, I didn't do it. In my quest to try to be healthy, I said 'no' to the latte-muffin combo and had a turkey and cheese roll up instead. I know that doesn't sound very breakfast-y, but if I eat a high protein breakfast, I stay full all morning long. And I don't eat eggs, so I just get a whole wheat tortilla, a couple of slices of deli turkey and a slice of non-fat cheese and have at it. I'll save the latte-muffin combo for my mid-week 'hump day fiesta'. What, you don't have a hump day fiesta? You should, you really, really should.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, my best friend Rhonda and I will truck down to the new Chipotle that's opening Downtown at 14th and Walnut. They are giving out FREE burritos or bowls all day tomorrow! I wonder if the homeless people know? I kind of like the idea of them knowing, to be honest. I would like to know that they were all able to get in line for a hot, free meal. Now, if they gave away free margaritas, I would beat everyone else down for the first spot in line. OK, maybe not beat, but jostle roughly, for sure.

I've been cross-training another co-worker on my desk, which is a challenge. Sometimes, you just do your job without thinking about what you're doing, let alone why, and when someone starts asking questions, I don't have any answers. 'Because that's the way we do it' seems to be my standard answer for nearly every question she has. She's already informed me that I can not be absent on any day that starts with an M, T, W or F.

Kai went to the doctor today, and he agrees that we should try the Daytrana patch. I hope it works better for Kai. The only way we've been able to get him to take the pill is to open the capsule and sprinkle it on a bite of pudding. The patch will be much easier, and the worst that we might experience might be some skin irritation at the patch site. I felt really bad tonight, when he said that he would be in college and still wearing a patch. Kai thought that as he grew, the patch would get bigger and bigger. I explained to him that no matter how much he grew, the patch would always be very small.

I'm having a very powerful urge to make up a big pan of lasagna, some cheesy garlic bread and nice big salad, very little of which goes along with my healthy living plan, but sure does sound good!

Since a few posts back, I promised a recipe from time to time, here's one of my favorites. Flour-less peanut butter cookies. They are wonderful, and full of nothing but yummy peanut butter flavor. Best of all, you've probably got most of the ingredients just hanging out in your kitchen, waiting for you!

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Cream the peanut butter and sugar in a bowl. Beat in the baking powder. Add the egg. Mix until it is all well combined. ( I found that it was easiest to do this by hand, rather than fire up the big mixer)

Roll the dough into fairly small balls (heh,heh, I said 'balls'. Sorry!)(the dough will be a little sticky), roll in sugar and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat liner. Dip the tines of a fork into a bit of sugar and make that lovely criss-cross pattern.

Bake in the oven for about ten minutes. They're done when still just a bit soft in the centers. Cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Serve with a big, cold glass of milk. Makes about 1 dozen.

2 comments:

Lurker Girl said...

Oh Kelley be careful with the Chipotle!! It's addictive for one thing AND the carlorie count--sister you don't even want to know. I used to have it for lunch once a week and then I checked Dottie's Weight loss zone and saw that I blew all of my points in one meal when I ordered the BOL. The burrito blew it by another 6.5 points.!!!

http://www.dwlz.com/Restaurants/chitpotle.html.

Check out her site--it's a great resource.

Kelley said...

I know! I keep Dottie's list on my favorites. When I do Chipotle, I get a bol with chicken and I skip the guacamole, as much as it pains me to do so. I LOVE their guac! I used to do Chipotle about once a week, and now it's a once a month thing. The good thing about today is, it's a 4 block walk both ways, so at least I'll get a little bit of exercise in.