Saturday, March 15, 2008

Birthday Hell

So, Kai got invited to the birthday party of one of his classmates. They had the party at a place called Power Play, which offers a huge assortment of arcade style games, laser tag, go-karts, etc. Kai had been buzzed about this outing all week, so by the time we got there this afternoon, he was AMPED!

I had thought about having his birthday party at Power Play this summer, but after today, yeah, I don't think so. I loved the concept of the place. Think Chuck E. Cheese on crack. Power Play has everything the mouse has, times 10. They had carnival rides, a bowling alley, put-put golf, and everything else I've mentioned under one roof. Plus, an all you can eat buffet of pizza, tacos, salad, etc. But....

First, there's absolutely no kind of security in place. At least at CEC, you and everyone in your party gets a hand stamp, and if a child leaves with an adult, the stamps have to match. PP is a free-for-all. I noticed that our hosts had a very difficult time keeping track to 12 rambunctious boys. Luckily, there were plenty of parents that stayed to help herd the kids. Of course, the kid who's mom just dropped him off was the one that turned up missing. Luckily we found him right away as he had just trotted off the the skeetball game to get a bunch of tickets.

Second, there were just too damned many people there. I don't know how they could better manage the crowd control, but when you've got 20 or so party rooms that are turning over every 60 minutes, there's a lot of people. We were there from 1:30 until 4:30, and I'd estimate that the boys spent about an hour of that time waiting in line for their turns at laser-tag and then the go-karts.

I don't really know what the answer would be. Limit the 'big' attractions like the karts and tag to party groups only? I dunno. After we FINALLY left, we went to the Wal-Mart Supercenter, because well, it was there. I was tired, thirsty and cranky so I was not in a shopping mood. All I wanted was to go home!

Tomorrow, I hope that my day will be restful. I plan on doing laundry, making some cards and I'm going to throw a corned beef brisket in the oven for St. Pat's.

Oh, and I made a card this morning, yay! We didn't know what to get the birthday boy, so I played it safe and got him a wally-world gift card last night, on our previous excursion to Wal-Mart. But, I forgot to get a card! So, I dug through my supplies this morning and I came up with this-


See that little red button on the end of the big race car? You push it, and it lights up! Cool!


This is the inside. I just stamped 'happy birthday' and cut a little notch to hold the gift card.

Now, I'm off to bed!

3 comments:

Lurker Girl said...

Oh shoot me now. I hate those kind of places. For Miki's birthday I found the smallest bowling alley I could and we are having her party there.

That card is CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!

Lurker Girl said...

Hey--why don't you link to Dlisted anymore? It was my way to get around the "system" here at work--haha!

Kelley said...

Hee-hee! I was using it too! I should put it back!