Thursday, June 19, 2008

Awesomely Bad Food

I had forgot about this cookbook that I got a few months ago at an estate sale. I'm glad I picked it up, though! It was published in 1963 for the Kansas City Power and Light Company. Take a look at this kitchen-



At first, I was so transfixed by all that harvest gold that I failed to notice the completely insane set up for the cooktop. The harvest gold cooktop is inset to an aqua colored formica topped island, with the cooktop controls set SIDEWAYS. It must have confused the coffee klatch here too, because nobody's using it. The one girl there at the end of the counter almost blends into the harvest gold kitchen all together. I can't tell what Princess Big Hair is doing back there by the dishwasher, and I'm not entirely sure why Patty Duke is there in a Catholic school uniform. But whatever, come on, and let's "Know the Joy of Better Cooking Electrically".

All hail the electric oven!-



First of all, I have never in my life seen an oven that clean. That must be part of the joy of cooking electrically. I've been trying to figure out what that big hunk of meat is. It's got a nice, artery clogging layer of fat to splatter all over that oven, that's for sure. It looks kind of shiny, doesn't it? And it's barely fitting on that roasting tray with all those spuds and carrots. You'd probably throw your back out trying to heave that thing out of the oven. But that's ok, because according to the text, "If this is your first experience with an Electric (so new it demands to be capitalized!) range oven, you are in for some wonderful surprises". I'll just bet you are...

No comments: