Monday, July 14, 2008

Books, books, books

For as long as I can remember, books have been a big part of my life. I still have most of my Little Golden Books from when I was a kid. They are familiar old friends to me, and I still look at them from time to time.

One of the best things about taking public transportation to work is it affords me plenty of reading time. I usually check out books from the library or read books that I've borrowed from family. Last month, my cousin Brenda let me go through my Aunt Judy's books and told me to take as many as I wanted. I didn't want to appear greedy, so I only took six or seven. I've been reading them as fast as I can, and for sure, one of them I will read again- "On The Road", by Jack Kerouac. I always wondered what all the fuss was about with On The Road. I can tell you, for me it was a book that surpassed all expectations. It was one of those books that I was sad to finish, because I wanted to stay immersed in the lives of Sal Paradise and Dean Moriarity.

I'm now on to "We Are Still Married" by Garrison Keillor. It's an older book from him, but I love the way he writes. I listen to him every Saturday on A Prairie Home Companion and reading his stories is a lot like listening to him on the radio; soothing, comforting, funny.

I'm thinking about reading all of the 'classic' novels I've never gotten around to reading- Jane Eyre, For Whom The Bell Tolls, etc. What are some of your favorite books, magazines, milk cartons? What are you reading?

No comments: