Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Caramelized Onions= Love

A couple of years back, I bought a jar of caramelized onions from one of those home tasting food parties- you know the ones. I was addicted! I put caramelized onions on everything that stood still, practically. And then one day, my jar was empty. So, I decided I better learn how to make them myself. I tried a couple of different recipes, but this one is the easiest and it's my absolute favorite.

6-8 large sweet onions (Vidalias are my favorite)
1 stick of butter (eat your heart out, Paula Deen. Your big, cholesterol engorged heart)
1 10oz. can of vegetable stock, or even better, 1 1/2 cups of beef stock (I saved the liquid from the last time I made pot roast, skimmed off the extra fat and then froze it)
Throw some balsamic vinegar into the mix if you're feeling froggy. What does that mean, "feeling froggy"? I better go to wikipedia next.

Cut both ends off of the onions and peel. Place whole onions, butter and stock in your crock pot and set it on low. Set it and forget it! (sorry Ron Popiel) You really can't overdo these guys, but in 12-24 hours (depending on your crock pot) they will be totally soft and a deep, golden brown. Like George Hamilton.

I keep them in the fridge and use them on burgers (with provolone cheese, oh my), or on a salad, or in hash browns, or use them with more beef stock to make french onion soup.

Even if you don't think you're a huge onion fan, give this a try. The long cooking process really gives them a deep, sweet flavor.

No comments: