Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mmm....Crabcakes!

Last night was the bi-weekly trip through purgatory, also known as the grocery store. I do not like going to the store at all. But, I dutifully made my list and off we went. Kai kept saying he wanted crab legs for dinner. Crab legs? On a week night? Who does he think we are, the Trumps?

Anyway, big pushover that he is, Tim suggested that we drop the groceries off at the house, and 'swing by Costco to pick up some crab legs'. I really didn't want to, and I'll tell you the truth, I think it was really Tim that wanted crab legs, not Kai. I think there was some trickery going on. We roamed around Costco and I resisted the urge to buy mini-cinnamon rolls and two-bite brownies (man, I LOVE those things!). We headed back to the seafood department and they did not have the bags of frozen crab legs. Kai was checking out the fresh crab- "Mom, what's a 'dangerous' crab?" Dangerous crab, what was that? I looked at the package- "No, that 'dungeness' crab, not dangerous crab". So, we left without getting crabs. Ha,ha.

The point of all of this is that tonight, I made crab cakes for dinner. I love crab cakes. They're easy and a nice treat, and it's a relatively inexpensive way to get your crab fix. I was going to take a picture of them to show you how lovely they were, but we ate them all! But if you'd like to make your own, here's the recipe-

Crab Cakes

1 egg
2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of dry mustard
1 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon of Lawry's season salt*
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper*
* if you want substitute 1 teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning for the season salt and cayenne pepper
4 4.5oz. cans of lump crab meat drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh parsley
8 or 9 saltine crackers, finely crushed
vegetable oil for frying, about 1/2 cup

Beat the egg and add the mayo and dry mustard. Stir in the seasoning, and then the crab meat and the cracker crumbs. Don't stir it too hard, just enough to get it mixed well. Stir in the parsley. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions and shape into patties. Put the patties on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Heat oil in a large, deep skillet, and gently add crab cakes, 4 at a time. Fry over medium-high heat for 8 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides, turning frequently. Drain on paper towels and serve while still hot.

Yum!!

No comments: