Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rambling Mish-Mash (or,What The Inside of My Head Sounds Like)

We now have one week until school starts! Yikes! I still have to buy folders and a protractor and Kleenex and hand sanitizer. Next Tuesday is Fee Night, a jolly event where I get the privilge of forking over $90 for 'textbook rental' (don't get me started, this is still a sore spot with me), put $30 on the lunch card, pay those PTA harpies $10 just so I can have their school directory and probably order some 'Bobcat' gear of some sort. Hmm...looks like I'll have to scour the husband's closet for some goodies to put on Ebay so I can raise some additional funds.

Our neighbors own an Indian restaurant in Midtown, Taj Palace . We were telling our neighbor how we had never tried Indian food, and were anxious to experience it. So last night, when he came home from work, he was kind enough to bring us some dishes to sample. We had Lamb Saag and Chicken Tikka Masala, both of which were divine! The rice was very good as well, and Kai loved the nan. Now I'm anxious to try other dishes and see what all I've been missing. I see a trip to Taj Palace in our near future!

My mother is again proclaiming her general displeasure of living with us. She is again threatening to move out, and this no longer upsets me. She needs to have her own place where she can feel like she can do whatever she wants. She can at our house of course, but she doesn't feel that way, and instead of making all of us miserable, I think she should move.

The song that keeps running through my head on endless loop is 'What's Goin' On' by 4Non Blondes. I hate that song.

*UPDATE*
I found a recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala that looks fairly simple. The ingredients are all things I could find at the store, it looks like.

Chicken Tikka Masala

"This is an easy recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala - Chicken marinated in yogurt and spices and then served in a tomato cream sauce. Serve with rice or warm pita bread."
Original recipe yield: 4 servings.
Prep Time:30 MinutesCook Time:50 MinutesReady In:2 Hours 20 MinutesServings:4 (change)

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
4 teaspoons salt, or to taste
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
4 long skewers
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
3 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and 4 teaspoons salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat a grill for high heat.
Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.
Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika, and 3 teaspoons salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro.

4 comments:

Lurker Girl said...

I took would like to try some Indian Food, we have a great place here that has been in business forever--it's called the Tandoor--but every time I drive by it--the smell kind of turns me off.

Is the food super spicy--or can you order it milder? I'm all about the spice--but anything more than salt and pepper can send DH into convulsions--haha!

Kelley said...

Well, from what I understand, a Vindaloo dish (chicken, lamb or vegetarian) is VERY SPICY. The dishes that we had, especially the Tikka Masala, was not hot spicy, but flavorful. The chicken was tender, in a creamy tomato sauce. The flavor was very delicate, I'm sure there was cinnamon and allspice and some others I can't easily identify. The rice was out of this world. I think it was jasmine rice, it wasn't sticky, and was very perfumy, with saffron and lemon. I think you could order something mild if you wanted to. I like the combination of spicy/sweet, but Indian food is more subtle to me than say, Thai food.

Cherie D said...

Girl? Do you really cook up this stuff with all these ingrediants? Hell, if it has more than 4 it's too much work. However, feel free to come whip up some magic Indian food at my house!

Kelley said...

Cherie, I'm fairly adventurous in the kitchen, but I have to limit it for the weekends! Weeknights, I try to make something that's quick and easy. Like a bowl of cereal or a baloney and cheese sandwhich. I kid, I kid!

I plan on trying this Tikka Masala recipe here real soon. It doesn't look too hard, and I've got most of these spices lurking around in my cupboard! I'll send over a bowl to ya!