Saturday, October 4, 2008

La Cacina De Chaos

I decided to try a food experiment today. Yesterday, a friend of mine sent me an email with a recipe for '3-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake'. I'm all about chocolate cake! And if I can get it in three minutes, score! So, I decided to try out my best 'Pioneer Woman'-type food photography skills (huge apology to Ree here, I'm just not worthy!!) and give the recipe a shot.

First, here's the recicpe-

3 - MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
1 Coffee Mug
4 tablespoons flour(that's plain flour, not self-rising)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
Some nuts (optional) Small splash of vanilla
Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well . Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 2.5 minutes on high. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to share!)
And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now, we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!


Here's my cast of characters-



Stirring the dry ingredients together-


Adding the eggs and the milk-




Stirring in the oil and chocolate chips. Stir, stir, stir!


And now, into the microwave! Please ignore my messy microwave, I forgot to wipe it down last night. I suppose you're probably saying 'why didn't she wipe it down before she took the picture?' Believe me, I'm asking myself that very same question.


I didn't take pictures of it cooking in the microwave. I'm somewhat suspicious of radioactive waves and what they might do to my camera. Anyway, here it is after two minutes, thirty seconds in the microwave-



It looked pretty tasty and smelled like, well, fresh chocolate cake! The destructions say to turn it out onto a plate. This is what I ended up with-

Hmmm....


I scraped out that last bit in the mug and put it on the plate. Chickenhead and I each tried a bite. The verdict? While tasting like chocolate cake, it was a bit rubbery in texture. Also, the recipe calls for 'non-rising' flour, and to be honest, I'm not sure if my flour was self-rising or not. The chocolate chips definitely added chocolate-y goodness, but I would have preferred that they were a little more dispersed throughout the cake, and not in a big clump on the bottom.

This recipe won't replace the Betty Crocker Warm Delights cakes for sure. Betty got it right when she made those. But, if you desperate for a warm, gooey chocolate fix, this is passable. Eat it while it's still warm; I found that the moment it got cool, it was even more rubbery.

1 comment:

vickybu said...

I'm so glad to hear that this is not as tasty as it sounded at first! I just surfed to your blog from the blogher blogroll (I was looking to see if my blog, CasaLlamedos, was listed yet!) and saw this recipe and thought "Oh NOOOOOO!" I'm a chocoholic and if this was good (it's obviously easy!) then I was in big trouble! How funny to see that you read Pioneer Woman too... love her!

Love your blog! -Vickybu