Monday, November 3, 2008

Finding Traditions

Now that Halloween is passed, it's time to start thinking about...you know...THE HOLIDAYS (insert shower scene music from Psycho here). Oh dear Lord, I just don't know if I am ready.

For starters, this year Thanksgiving will not be a gathering of all the bitter, unhappy in-laws. While I enjoy all of them on an individual basis, if you put all of them together in the same space, it's just a bad, bad thing. I told my sister in-law, how can anyone possibly enjoy the holidays when we're all miserable at the thought of being around each other? So, the husband's father and grandfather, mother, brother and his family will all be heading down to a little Kansas town to dine with the husband's aunt. We were not invited, as there are 'issues' between the Husband and his aunt. And really, we're OK with it.

By not having to do the big dinner with family members that don't really get along, we can spend a day with Chickenhead, and create some new, and hopefully lasting holiday traditions. But what will they be? I want something more meaningful than a new side dish (although I am eyeballing one). I want something that's our own, unique to our family. Something simple, that really conveys what the holiday is about, and what being thankful means.

I have no idea what the plans are for Christmas yet, and to be honest, I'm not worried about it. If we are not invited anywhere, we still have each other. We can create some new traditons on that day as well. I'm not stressing on it; I'm enjoying the lifting of the holiday burden. I don't have to concern myelf with who's not speaking to whom, I don't have to deal with people who come into my home and ignore my son, I don't have to keep people in separate rooms because they can't act like adults.

So, enough about the holidays for now. Half of us at the Casa are sick, Chickenhead and I have so far been able to escape the creeping crud that has already claimed my Momma and the husband. Chickenhead is going to the dentist tomorrow; he has an adult tooth that has not grown in. The baby tooth fell out in July, and now his gums are all purple where that new tooth should be coming in at. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for Chickenhead that he has a non-traumatic visit tomorrow!

No comments: