Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Smashing Good Time

My late afternoon drifting in and out of my Nyquil for Sinuses haze was interrupted not by Chickenhead asking me to check out his latest Lincoln Log fort, but by a rather loud THUD. He and I both looked at each other, and I dashed out of bed. I look in my mother's room, but she wasn't there. That's right, she had gone to the grocery store.

Chickenhead and I looked around the house and couldn't figure out where the noise came from. Just as I was about to go downstairs to see what the husband was doing in the Manhole, my mom came in the front door, looking just slightly freaked out. "I hit the garage door!", she exclaimed. I ran downstairs to tell the husband to get his ass up there pronto. I ran back up and made sure Mom was physically OK, which she was.

We went outside to assess the damage. Luckily, it's not anything too serious, but the bottom panel of the door, and possibly the lower hinges will need to be replaced. There is some minor scuffing on the front bumper of Mom's car.

She's not exactly sure what happened, but the husband and I seem to think that she must have stepped on the gas instead of the brake when she went to park in the driveway. She's confused and upset, and keeps saying that she just doesn't know why she would step on the gas.

So I'm now having to make a very serious decision- do I ground my momma from driving? I know that this is a very common accident, it can and does happen to anyone. But considering her recent health issues as well as a couple of terrifying near-death experiences I've had riding in the car when she's driving, I'm wondering if maybe she might need to let someone else take the wheel. I don't want her to feel like I'm stripping her of her independence, that's the last thing I want. But at the same time, I'm concerned about her safety and the safety of everyone else on the road.

My mom is still young, relatively speaking. She'll be 67 next month, an age when many of her peers are still living very active lives. I don't want her to become a shut-in, but I don't want her to endanger herself or anyone else, either.

I'm going to go fix a glass of wine and think about this some more.

1 comment:

TL said...

WOW! Well, the good news is that she didn't get hurt!