Friday, November 14, 2008

Transitions

First of all, I have to note that I'm failing miserably at this 30 blog posts in 30 days business. I can't even promise to catch up at this point, but who knows, I may become especially inspired before November 30 and manage to pull it off. I'm a world class procrastinator, and often do my best work in the 11th hour.

Well, it looks like my momma will be moving after the first of the year. I confess, I have mixed emotions on this situation. On the one hand, she and I just do not get along under one roof, and it will be a relief to get this pressure off of my chest. I don't know why, but when I'm around her, I feel like I can't breathe. I can't be me, because I know she's judging me, tsk-tsking the little things I do, and the things I don't do. It will be nice to feel like I can be myself in my own home. On the other side of the coin however, I'm worried about how she'll fare on her own. Her health is not good, and I want to know that she'll be able to get ahold of someone if she's sick, I want to know she's eating well, etc. Nothing can ever really prepare you for the shock that yes, your parents do age, and there's nothing you can do about it. Instead of you relying on them, they begin to rely on you.

Also found out this week that my BIL and his wife are on the outs. There's has been a complicated marriage, and while I could say a lot about her, I won't right now. I mostly feel for my BIL and even more for my two nephews, who I'm sure are upset and confused at the turmoil in their lives. I will say this: if you are going to bring children into this world, planned or not, you need to be prepared to put your wants and needs to the side and take care of their needs, especially if they have health issues. Do NOT leave it up to your 8-year old son to be solely responsible for his medication, for his testing supplies, etc. Yes, he should know what he has, but it's up to you as a parent to make sure he follows through, and it's up to you to keep back up supplies at all times. I'ts up to you as a parent to make sure his insulin is fresh, to make sure he has his kit. Too many times I have seen my nephew test with alarmingly low blood sugar, and there seems to be little concern for his well-being. Get over yourselves and take care of this child. OK, said more than I wanted to, but I had to say that.

This weekend is full of promise. I'm going to hang with my girlies tomorrow, addressing Christmas cards and snacking on treats. The holidays are looming right in front of us, and instead of the usual dread, I'm actually looking a little more forward to them this year. I even am starting to get the urge to get the decorations up, already!

2 comments:

Carol said...

OH SNAP!! You've been bitten by the Christmas bug! Welcome, welcome to the club....it's fun here!

Mrs. G. said...

Christmas? What's Christmas?