Wednesday, December 3, 2008

WTH Kind of GD Crap Is This?!

So...lately, when Chickenhead takes his lunch to school, he brings back 3/4 of it uneaten. Even when I make his favorite- baloney (gag) and cheese. I've tried every possible lunch option out there, almost all of it comes back home. I asked him what was up with the lunch deal, and I got two different answers.

The first answer was that a kid in his class, we'll call him Drowsy (because he sleeps through class. And yes, the teacher allows it), 'bothers' people at the lunch table. Chickenhead now says that Drowsy is not harassing them any more, so why isn't he eating?

Well, Chickenhead has said on more than one occasion this year, that they just don't have enough time to eat. I did some investigating, and here's what I found out. The class gets 25 minutes for lunch. The kids that bring their lunch (like Chickenhead) have to wait to eat until the kids that buy their lunch get finished in line at sit at the table. That way they all have the same amount of time to eat. Which is usually about 10-15 minutes. Are you fricking kidding me?!

OK, I know that in third grade they're not going to get enough time to down a three course meal. But asking kids to wolf it down in 15 minutes seems a bit much. Why should the kids that bring their lunch have to wait for the kids that buy? The teacher says that it's so they don't get finished eating too soon. And while I suppose I can understand that to an extent, it doesn't seem right somehow.

I'll be honest here. Every year, there is something wackadoodle that goes on at this school that just makes me nuts. And more and more, I think that maybe homeschooling might be a better option for us. Not just because of the lunch thing, but for a lot of other reasons, especially Chickenhead's A.D.D. He's doing well in school, but he could be doing better, and he's said often that his teacher goes too fast on lessons for him to keep up.

So, I'm wondering...by homeschooling, would we be working in his best interest and adapting his educational experience to his needs or would we be coddling him? This is where I always end up on the fence; I want him to have the social experience of going to school, interacting with his peers, etc., but honestly, I'm getting fed up with the public school BS.

If there are any educators, lunch ladies or home-schoolers out there, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

I know many folks that have pulled their kids out of school for a variety of reason(including ADD and ADHD). My main concern would be if you noticed any changes in your son's self esteem. My boy was a wiggler--he had to move while he learned. There are many homeschooling blogs that discuss this very subject. xxooxxoo

Lurker Girl said...

I know what you mean about the lunch time thing. DD says she never has enough time to eat either--packed lunches come back 1/2 full and God knows how much of the "paid for" lunches go into the trash.

I thought it was because I have a chatty cathy and that she never shut up long enough to put food into her mouth--then I went and met her for lunch one day. They do only give those kids 15 minutes to eat!!! It's ridiculous! No wonder my kid eats like a pack animal at home sometimes and her stomach hurts--she is earning those habits at school! I got so pissed off and I said something to the principal about it--but there is nothting they can do--they HAVE to rotate the kids in and out and there is only so much time.

I never remember that in school--but now all they do is "teach to test" so the kid's well being is the least of their problems

Kelley said...

Teach to test bugs me to no end. The kids have no incentive to retain anything that they learn because lessons aren't taught in a way that involves real-life application.

When Chicken was in 1st grade, he was reading at a 3rd grade level. Now that he's in 3rd, he's in a once a week reading lab because his teacher is concerned about how well he'll do on the MAP test in the spring. Everything they're doing this year is geared towards taking these tests in the spring, and I don't see how the kids get anything out of it.

I got pretty much the same answer from our principal about the lunch situation. With so many kids, blah, blah, move them through, blah, blah.

And I do worry about his self-esteem. After the BS last year with the bullying and what all, he's become very reserved around other kids, like he's hesitant to try to make friends. As an only child, he's around adults much of the time, and so in many ways, seems very mature for 8 years old. Don't get me wrong he loves to play with other kids, but he just doesn't seem to connect on their level. As an only myself, I see him going through a lot of what I did growing up, and I hate for it to be happening.

Candace said...

WHAT THE...??? I would think that the kids who had their lunch ready, willing and able would be allowed to sit first and eat while those other gnarks -- excuse me -- kids queue up and pay.
Just my 2 cents.

Candace in Athens