Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Bar of Soap, Perhaps?

Today, the Husband and I have been married for 14 years. Woo-hoo, yay us! The 'traditional' gift for the 14th anniversary is ivory. Should I ask for an elephant? Loony Landlady would love that! A baby-grand piano? A bar of Ivory soap? Hmm...

I know that there are people in our respective families who probably placed bets that we wouldn't last as long as we have. I may have placed a bet that we wouldn't last this long. But we have. So take that, suckers!

As much as I give the Husband a hard time for well, being male mostly, he really is a pretty great guy. He's a terrific father, who loves Chickenhead with all his heart. They have a close relationship, which makes me happy. They do Scouts together, camp, goof around in the garage and just generally be guys.

For all his bluster, the Husband is a huge softy. He would do anything in the world for me, even if he complained about it a little. He's much more sensitive than he would want anyone to know, and that's part of what endeared me to him. He makes me laugh, and our ability to laugh at ourselves has been what's kept us going, even through some difficult times.

At times I'm impulsive, and the Husband will say something that will make me stop and take a moment to think things through. I may think he's acting like a know-it-all, but usually (it pains me to say it)he's right. I've had some really difficult moments dealing with my mom living with us. The Husband has been there and has been a voice of reason, who refuses to let my actions be driven by anger. He once told me that when it came to my mom, he would never let me do or say anthing that I would hate myself for later on. When I find myself driven to the edge by her antics, I think about that. And more than he knows, that has kept me from saying something that I know I would regret.

So dear Husband, I love you. Even though you don't exactly know about this blog, and even though I may grouse about you here every now and again, know that I could not imagine my life without you. You and Chickenhead are the very best parts of my life, and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

2 comments:

Lurker Girl said...

Happy Anniversary dear Kelley--may you have many more.

I know that being married is the hardest job they NEVER prepare you for--but congratulations to you and the DH!

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary - 14 years is a great accomplishment!