Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Eat This, Not That (and some random stuff thrown in)

In my ongoing effort to live a healthier, and therefore longer, life, I have decided that traditional 'diets' simply don't work for me. What I need to work on is portion control and consuming fewer processed foods that are filled with hidden trans-fats and sugars. I also needed help figuring out the healthiest choices I could make when we eat out. We don't dine out a lot, but for me knowing what I can eat before hand let's me plan in advance, which I like.

So imagine my excitement when I stumbled upon 'Eat This Not That'. A girl at work had the book, but you can go to their website and get a lot of great info on making healthy food choices. You can also sign up for a free newsletter. Some of the ETNT info has been eye-opening to say the least. Take for example, one of our families favorite restaurants, Chilis. Chickenhead usually wants a burger, but last time we went, I had him order the 'healthier' (I thougt) Chicken strip dinner from the kid's menu. Wrong! The kid's chicken strip dinnner, 3 breaded strips and fries, has over 1,100 calories and 82g of fat! Not to mention the almost 2000 mg of sodium. Next time, he'll have the comparitively healthy corndog, which clocks in at 440 calories and 28g of fat.

I know that when dining out, you can never get completely away from fat and sodium, but it's good to know that you can make choices that are a little bit healthier, and that you (or your child) will still enjoy. The ETNT site also has a great list of the best and worst at the supermarket, which I am finding really helpful.

I figured up last night that purchasing all of those things I miss from my youth will set me back a conservatively estimated $400 or so, and therefore shall remain memories.

My momma has been moaning and groaning for the past few days about there being nothing to eat, but the reality is that there's nothing that she wants to eat. We're trying to get her diabetes under control, but she's still testing at somewhere around 400-450 every day. The truth is she doesn't like to test, and doesn't really care what her blood sugar is. I'm not sure how much hand-holding I should do here. Do I keep nagging at her to test? She's an adult and knows why she should be testing, and the consequences of not getting this under control. Her apathy confuses me, to be honest.

The Husband and Chickenhead have both had a nasty stomach bug the past couple of days, and I'm doing everything I can to keep from contracting their cooties. Boys are icky sometimes, aren't they?

No comments: