Thursday, February 19, 2009

Product Review- The Making Memories Slice

For the past year or so, I've been going back and forth on the scrapbooking thing. Did I want to keep doing it, when do I have time, on and on and on it went. I even thought about throwing all of my stuff away, but luckily my friends talked me down of that ledge!

I decided I wanted some sort of die-cutting machine. I didn't want the Sizzix; too bulky and too much stuff. The Cricut was cool, but storage space was an issue. Then, Making Memories answered my prayers with the introduction of the Slice.

My friend Carol sent me a link to Oh My Crafts
and they had a great deal on the Slice. It was too good to pass up! I entered my cc number and waited patiently for the MIB (Man in Brown- the UPS guy!). Yesterday, I got a ding-dong-ditch, so I didn't get to see if MIB was hot or not, but I didn't care! My Slice was here!

I took it out of the box and charged it up. You can use it either plugged in or cordless. I waited the hour for it to charge and then started playing. The Slice comes with a glass mat that you have to put a special glue on so that your paper or photo or whatever you're cutting will stay in place. The directions said to let the glue set for 2 minutes. But, I'm an only child and I want to do everything MY way, so I put my paper down immediately and put in my design card. I selected a flower, and then chose the size. Chickenhead came in to watch as I pressed the start button. It was cutting! It cut pretty quickly, and when I was done, I saw a perfectly cut flower. But...since I didn't let the glue set like I was told, my paper was stuck pretty good to the glass mat. I scraped it off, washed the mat and started over. Again, my inner-only child took over and decided to try it without the glue. Guess what, that didn't work, either.

So I decided to just do as I was told. I put down a thin ribbon of glue and spread it out over the glass mat. I waited at least 2 minutes, and then put my paper down and got going. And you know what? It cut perfectly! I love it and would recommend it to any scrapper or card maker that wants a cutting machine that is affordable, easy to use and easy to store.

No comments: