Friday, March 6, 2009

My Top 25 (or so) Favorite Authors of All Time

I first read this on Gladys' blog, and then she tagged CDW, who didn't actually tag me, but kind of did an open invite to this craziness. So, if you like books and the people who write them, why not list your favorite authors, or the authors who have inspired you to write. All 25 or 2 or however many there are.

OK, here are mine, in no particular order, because I know you don't expect anything orderly from me-

1. Beverly Cleary- 'Socks'. 'Ramona'. 'Strider'. Need I say more? Some of the best books of my childhood.

2. Betty MacDonald- The author of the 'Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle' books. I've read some of the stories to Chickenhead and they are still prone to set off fits of giggles over Mrs. PW's wacky remedies. Betty MacDonald also wrote 'The Egg And I' which introduced the world to Ma and Pa Kettle.

3. Judy Blume- In 5th grade through 7th, the Judy Blume books were THE books to get ahold of from the library. Because you know, she talked about *sex*. Looking back, it wasn't so much that she talked about sex or getting your period or masturbation, but she wrote honestly about how girls thought about these subjects. She was very in tune to the tween mind.

4. Stephen King- I haven't read much Stephen King lately, it seems as though most of his recent books are the same story, just set in a different part of Maine. But books like 'Cujo', 'Carrie', 'The Shining' and 'It' are some of the best horror written.

5. Jack Kerouac- If you've never read it, read 'On The Road'. You'll be pulled along on a free-wheeling adventure across the US.

6. Mary Kay Andrews- 'Savannah Blues', 'Little Bitty Lies' and 'Hissy Fit' are funny and romantic and the perfect books for reading on the porch on a summer afternoon. Not that I get to do much lying around on my porch. Ever.

7. Douglas Coupland- Coined the term 'Generation X'. My favorite Coupland books are 'All Families Are Psychotic' (boy ain't that the truth) and 'JPod'.

8. Jennifer Weiner- 'In Her Shoes' is my favorite, but all of her books are so well written, funny, honest and touching.

9. Danielle Steele- sometimes my brain needs crap. Danielle Steele writes pretty good crap.

10. Stephenie Meyer- I can't help it, I love the 'Twilight' books. I may not be part of the intended demographic, but I know a good love story when I read one.

11. Martin Clark- 'The Many Aspects of Mobile Home Living' and 'Plain Heathen Mischief' are two of the funniest books I have ever read. Ever.

12. Wally Lamb- If I could marry all of Wally Lamb's books, I would. I love them that much. I'm anxious to read his newest, 'The Hour I First Believed'. I don't know how he could top 'She's Come Undone' or 'I Know This Much is True', but I bet he will.

13. V.C. Andrews- Every V.C. Andrews series had some creepy, semi-incestuous relationship going on between a brother and sister, who at some point during the book did not know that they were brother and sister, and may or may not have acted out on some serious sexual tension between them. Makes me wonder what kind of live V.C. Andrews lived.

14. William Shakespeare- You didn't think I was going to leave out old Bill, did you? I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of all the plays. But the sonnets. Wowsers. Now there's some words for ya. Willie was crazy in love with someone, that's for sure.

15. C.S. Lewis- Chickenhead and I are just starting on the 'Chronicles of Narnia' books; we've just begun reading 'The Magician's Nephew'. I love that these stories seem as magical as when I read them when I was young.

16. Frances Hodgson Burnett- I remember my grandma had a copy of 'The Secret Garden' in her bookcase, and every summer when I stayed with her, I would read it. It's a lovely story.

17. Anne Rice- She's still my go-to girl for stories about witches and vampires. She's even able to make Satan seem kind of sexy.

You know, this seems to be all I can think of for now. I'm sure there are many more that I'm forgetting, and no doubt I'll read someone else's list and be reminded of them. Let me know some of your favorite authors, I'd love to hear about them!

2 comments:

Rechelle said...

Yes, the VC Andrews years. All those creepy attic books. What about Jean M. Auel? I read her 'cavegirl' books about the same time. Love Beverly Cleary. Wish my boys did.

Gladys said...

Oh Rechelle is right I forgot about Jean M. Auel. And Kelley did you know MK Andrews has a new book called Deep Dish? I just got it. I'll let you know how it is.

Hey and come back on over to my blog anytime. Did you leave a comment for the Hank the Cow Dog Books?