Monday, April 13, 2009

Heathens

This year, I am happy to say, we did not celebrate Easter. Oh, I got Chickenhead a video game, and a few pieces of Easter candy, but this year, the holiday was not a big to-do around the Casa. My MIL brought him over a few pieces of candy and some money, and he was happy. He did not care that an invisible rabbit did not hide candy around the house. He was kind of bummed that we didn't color eggs, but when I reminded him that he didn't like to eat hard-boiled eggs, and neither did the Husband nor I, he was cool with it. But I told him that we would do it next year if he wanted.

We didn't run around buying new clothes to wear to church, because we never do that. I like to think that my connection to the Divine does not require me to go to a special building. I would feel like a hypocrite if I went to church one or two days a year and called myself 'Christian'. Instead, I converse with God/The Divine/Zeus/whatever, on an as-needed basis. I don't need to waste his/her time with endless pleas and chants and prayers. I pray when I need to, chant or meditate when it feels right. And for the first time in my adult life, I'm spiritually comfortable. I think that there are many paths to God, and I have finally found mine.

I get a lot of flack from my MIL because we aren't raising Chickenhead to attend church. I could point out to her that she goes to church every Sunday, yet still does things that are decidedly 'un-Christian'. I could point out to her the many people around the world that do and say some of the most horrendous things in the name of God. As the old saying goes- Going and standing in a church on Sundays doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a Cadillac. I think that if there is a God, and I do think there is, he judges us more on our thoughts, deeds and actions, and not so much on attendence.

Other than in the eyes of my MIL, condemming our souls to hell, we didn't do much else. We enjoyed the outdoors on Saturday, working in the yard. Yesterday was cold and rainy, so we stayed in, watching TV and just generally being lazy.

Chickenhead committed a big video-game no-no on Saturday night. The Husband was letting him stay up late to play whatever game it was Chickenhead was playing. Well, the Husband fell asleep, so Chickenhead decided it was a wonderful opportunity to check out the PS3 online store. When the Husband woke up yesterday morning, he had an email from PS3 about five items he purchased at .99 cents each. What items? Chickenhead decided that the Husband's avatar needed and extreme makeover, so he bought new hands, feet, torso and legs, all green, along with an orange spiked hairdo. The Husband's avatar now looks like a cross between the Incredible Hulk and a Pokemon character. After the interrogation about how he bought these things (Chickenhead swears it was an accident- how do you accidentally hit 'buy' 5 times?), we banned Chickenhead from the PS3 for 5 days. He took the punishment surprisingly well, I think because he thought the Husband's online character now looks 'cool'. Just between you and me, I thought it was hysterical. But I had to be a serious parent. I think that the Husband thought it was funny, too, but had to be serious because we want Chickenhead to know that he can't be online just buying whatever he wants. Maybe I should send him to church...

2 comments:

Carol said...

HA!

Lurker Girl said...

Oh man--I am right there with you on the church thing.

God and I understand each other--and I don't feel the "requirement" of pray in a certain building/place/time either.

I have made peace with the fact that my mother and grandmother are insistant that I and my child will be banned from eternal salvation--but I will not live a lie and haul ass to church just because I am "supposed' to. According to them...