Friday, May 22, 2009

And So It Begins...

Well, we've got just a little over a month until Chickenhead's 9th birthday. Nine years? Already? As fast as these nine years have passed, the next nine will fly by too, and then he'll be 18, and I'll be having a breakdown of epic proportions.

But for now, I'm focusing on this birthday. And the party, which will be at the Casa this year. Last year we did the bowling party, which while fun, cost a lot! So we decided to think of something we can do at home, and settled on having a 'Rock Star' party. Chickenhead's friends are going to come over and play Rock Band and/or Guitar Hero, snack on pizza and cupcakes and head on home! No, it's not as simple as that, I do have a few tricks up my sleeve. For starters, I'm designing the invitations to look like concert tickets. I made them in Excel, and I'll be danged if they don't look like real tickets! I think I may save it as a .jpg file though, and take it to Kinko's to get printed on a heavier cardstock than what I can run through my printer at home.

Chickenhead is going to pick 10 or so of his favorite rock songs, and we're going to burn a CD for each guest. I'll then put out stickers and glitter and whatever else I can dig up, and the kids can decorate their CD covers. Then we'll play the video games, with trophies for 'Best Rock Moves', 'Best Air Guitar Skills', etc.

Since I'll have a house full of screaming, rocking kids, I think I'm going to do a separate, much quieter, celebration for family. Just have the grandparents over for a cookout or something. Then when it's all over, I will lock myself in the bedroom with a bottle of wine and try to stop the shaking.

My only issue with the whole party plan is the cake. I love the convience of cupcakes from Costco. I don't have to bake- yay! But, Chickenhead wants a 'Guitar Hero' cake. I'm searching for one of those edible photos that you can put on top of a sheet cake. There are GH ones for sale on ebay, but I don't know how they would ship.
Kansas in June can be hot and miserable, and I think one of those things would be destroyed in transit. So if anyone has any ideas on the cake situation, please, speak up!

4 comments:

Carol said...

Make a regular 9x13 and just free hand a guitar on it....easier to cut that way! Best of both worlds!

Kelley said...

Oh girl, you is FUNNAY! I can't free hand a stick figure a stick person let alone a guitar. If only I knew someone who decorated cakes...hmmm......

cozzie laura said...

There's a CD? What a great idea! I'm so there! When do I get my invitation in the mail?

Kelley said...

Laura, if possible I will just bring your CD with me to Cozumel after the party because I am going to need some serious down time after a house full of rockin' 9-yr olds. I like my margarita frozen, and my pool boy muscular! Can you hook a sista up?