Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Here's What I Think - Wisdom From The Casa

First, let me say that I don't profess to be the wisest(most wise?) person around. I have, on occasion, serious lapses in common sense just like everyone else. But as I go through this thing called life(it means forever and that's a mighty long time!), I have come to a few realizations.

1. Life is too short to worry about what everyone else thinks about you. We only get to do this once (unless you believe in reincarnation and then lucky you, you get to do it again!), so try to enjoy each day. Stop worrying about what people will think if you order dessert first or whatever it is you fret about. Stop wasting time with coulda, shoulda and woulda and just be. Allow yourself to be yourself. People will always find something to fault in not just you, but everyone else. We all do it in some way or another.

2. Stop with the 'Nobody likes me' crap, already. I was just talking about this with a friend of mine earlier. I truly believe that the folks who go around with their pity-party hats on, moaning about how the world hates them, nobody loves them, blah, blah, blah, just plain don't like themselves. They're holding on to a lot of self-hatred and criticism. It's a lot easier to keep the pity-party going than to stop and take a look at the things that they don't like about themselves and work to change the things they can. Making a change is hard, facing the fact that we may not be what we define as 'perfect' is a difficult thing to face.

3. You will never be able to please everyone, so stop trying to. Yep, it's true. There will ALWAYS be someone who doesn't like the fact that you did or did not do this or that. Your mom may always be pissed that you didn't marry the person she thought you should have, or maybe your dad will never let you forget that you don't live up to his impossible expectations for you. While we all want to please our family members, our friends, our boss, it's simply impossible to please everyone. In the end, we end up harboring anger and resentment towards others because they demand so much of us. Stop denying yourself happiness, and learn that it's OK to say 'no', and that some people will never be happy no matter what you do. And that's their issue to resolve, not yours.

I'm working in my own life to put all of these truths in to full-time practice. It's not always easy; sometimes to be honest, it's a pain in the ass. But I'm hoping that I'll be a better person for trying!

Oh,yeah, and Happy Cinco DeMayo from the Casa!

No comments: