Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Calgon, Take Me Away!

I think it's safe to say that I'm starting to crack from all the stress I've been under lately. I haven't had any major meltdowns or anything, at least not yet. But the little irritations that I'm normally able to brush aside are getting to me a little more each day. So when I'm faced with a moderate to major irritation, it feels like it's taking everything I've got to deal with it.

I'm hoping that after this weekend, the Husband's mom will go home. Don't get me wrong; I greatly appreciate everything she's done for us. She's been outstanding, and I can't thank her enough. But. I am looking forward to the day when I can come home from work and sit down in the family room without finding a mega-wad of used tissue crammed down in the sofa cushions, press-on nails that have popped off in various places around the house, or her running around in a spaghetti-strap tank top. I want to be able to come home and not be forced to eat off of paper plates at every meal. She tries to be sneaky about the paper plates, and put a huge stack of them in the cabinet where I keep the dishes. Unless I'm at a cook out, I hate eating off of paper plates. Besides, I'm the one who loads and unloads the dishwasher, so by golly, I'm using a real plate. As much as I'm grateful for her help, the little quirks are getting to me, and I'll be happy to see her go.

The Husband and Chickenhead are off at Weblos camp for a couple of days. So tonight when I get home, I'm swapping out the TV in my bedroom for the one in Chickenhead's bedroom. The TV set in my room has terminal picture roll, and I'm tired of listening to anything I want to watch on TV. Since my MIL is camped in the family room, I let her watch whatever it is she wants to watch, which is usually Ghost Hunters. I'd sit down and watch Countdown with Keith Olbermann with her, but I fear that her neo-con brain would implode. Trust me, it's better for everyone if I lock myself in my room tonight, give myself a pedicure, pluck my eyebrows and just generally decompress. I'll be much better (and much better looking) in the morning.

My momma is doing about the same, some days are better than others. I'm noticing that her memory loss is getting more pronounced, which concerns me. Her doctor is sending a therapist to the house a couple of days a week to help her with improving her memory, so we'll see how that goes.

And this too, shall pass, I suppose...

2 comments:

Carol said...

Sending lots of love your way!!! You are a good girl! I think paint ball or kick boxing lessons are in your future!

Lurker Girl said...

I DO NOT Heart Mother-in-laws. So sorry you have to deal with her crazy too.

Curl up in your bedroom with a box of wine!!!