Monday, June 15, 2009

Just A Big Ol' Random Mess

I've got too much on my mind to focus on one particular topic, so tonight's post is going to be a free form, stream of consciousness kind of thing. Hang on and try to keep up!

It's official, I'm sick of rain. It's storming as I write this, and it's rained off and on for the past 637 days. OK. Maybe not that long, but it sure does seem like it. The humidity does nothing for my hair, either. Without anti-frizz serum, my head looks like a big chrysanthemum. Too much serum, and I look like I wiped a pork chop over my head.

The rain does have some pluses, though. The yard is nice and green and it now looks like people who care live here, and not so much like a crack den anymore. My peonies were beautiful this year, and the Husband's grandfather said I could take some starts of his peony bushes, which belonged to his grandmother. Does anyone know how to start peonies? Do I have to dig it up, can I root a cutting? If anyone has done this, I'd really like to hear about it. Our iris were really pretty this year, too, and my yucca plant is blooming it's beautiful white blossoms.

My mom is doing so-so. Some days are better than others. She is frustrated that she has to depend on people, and feels like she's a burden on me, which she's not. We talked tonight about a durable power of attorney. Mom says that she will sign it, but she seems hesitant. I made sure I explained to her that it's to protect her, and that it's only used if at some point she is unable to speak for herself. She said she knew, but "you know, you see those families on Dateline that have swindled a family member with a power of attorney..." Wow. Really? I told her that I don't have the time to figure out how to swindle her, I was too tired. And I honestly hope that I never have to use it. But I want it there so we're covered just in case.

Things are moving along for the Rock Star-themed birthday party. Chickenhead is so excited! Speaking of Chickenhead...today he CLEANED HIS ROOM! You can see the carpet and everything! Things are PUT AWAY! IN BINS!! Yes, my MIL helped him (probably more like he helped her, when he felt like it), but he was so proud. He's excited that he's got room to play his guitar and play with his toys. There's still some stuff in there I plan to weed out for the garage sale, but all in all, great work!

And so, that's about all that's going on here with me. I'm trying to make an effort to get to bed earlier, but yeah. It's almost 10 PM, and here I am. So, good night!

3 comments:

Lola said...

Peonies are tubers. I like it when I'm right. The should be divided in the fall:

http://www.larrysagers.com/weeklyarticles/peonies.html

Kelley said...

Thanks, Lola! I'm looking forward to fall, now!

Needtokno said...

Kelley,

I read your blog about your mom and your Power of Attorney experience. I am writing a book on Understanding Power of Attorney, which includes personal 'case studies'. I would like your permission to use/quote excerpts from you blog in the Health Care Power of Attorney chapter.

Please contact me at needtokno@gmail.com if this would be ok you with. I will then send you a short permission form from my publisher (Atlantic Publishing).

Thanks.

Ron Wainrib, Esq., author
Understanding Power of Attorney
(508) 528-5445
Franklin, MA
Needtokno@gmail.com