Saturday, June 20, 2009

*sigh*

Sometimes, a situation overwhelms me so much, all I can do is sigh. The situation with my momma is quickly spiraling out of control, and I've got to figure out how to reign her in.

This past week has probably been the hardest, most stressful week my family has been through. My momma has decided that her visiting nurse had last week messed up all of her medications, so she spent three days taking them all out of her daily pill packs and in to their respective pill bottles. She is defying doctor's, the physical and occupational therapists' orders to stay off of her leg, and walks around her bedroom. She's decided to listen to her brother in law, my uncle, when he tells her that 'the kneecap isn't a weight bearing bone, so you can walk on that leg'. What the orthopedic and the physical therapist have told her is that while it's not weight bearing, walking on it will stretch the tendons, which could pull the fracture apart.

Her behavior and attitude with the therapists has gotten so bad, that I fear that they may label her as non-compliant, and not come to the house any more. Both therapists and her nurse think that mom has had a stroke at some point because her right side is so weak.

The worst for me right now, is the temper tantrums. She yells at Chickenhead whenever he offends her in some way, she yells at my mother in law for any reason. Yesterday, mom was throwing things around her room and yelling and shouting because she couldn't have a Coke. Finally, my MIL told her she would get her a Coke, but asked my momma to do a blood check so they could make sure she wasn't too high. This sparked another 5-minute rant from my momma about how much she hates it here, how she never wanted to live here, and how she's moving in to assisted living, because she doesn't like anyone telling her what to do. We've all tried explaining to her that assisted living would mean even more people telling her what to do than what she's dealing with now, but she refuses to listen.

So. Today I'm going to sit down with my momma and we are again going to discuss power of attorney. She has told me that she will sign the papers, so I'm hoping that she remembers telling me that. Once we get that done, I'm going to have to lay down some ground rules about behavior, specifically towards Chickenhead. I am also going to call my uncle and remind him that he is not a doctor, so he needs to quit giving her medical advice. To be honest, I don't know what good any of this will do, because she will most likely continue to do exactly what she wants to do, regardless of what anyone else tells her.

*sigh*

3 comments:

cozzie laura said...

That sounds really tough..I'm sorry..

Carol said...

Awww, crap! Sorry sista....I know you just want her to be healthy and happy!

Lurker Girl said...

Oh Kelley--I'm praying for you and your Mom. Be strong for her right now, she doesn't know what she is doing.