Friday, June 26, 2009

What A Week

OK, so technically the week isn't over yet, but I think I've had enough of this week.

Obviously, there were two deaths yesterday that stunned and saddened everyone I knew.



Growing up in the 70's, Farrah was the ideal to which so many little girls aimed for. The hair, that hair! I was BFF with my blow dryer and curling iron all through high school, thanks to Farrah. I am glad that she is at peace now, and is no longer in pain. She was a courageous fighter in the face of an ugly disease.

While Farrah's death was expected, it was no less sad. But the news of another death yesterday afternoon was absolutely shocking.



I came across this photo on DListed, and honestly, I think it's my favorite photo of Michael Jackson. Look at how handsome he was! 'Off The Wall' and 'Thriller' were both part of the soundtrack to my adolescence. It's this Michael I will choose to remember; the Michael that I grew up watching on TV with his brothers, the one who recorded all those great songs. The slow moving train-wreck that his life became over the past 15 years or so was not the Michael I knew and loved.

Closer to home, we're gearing up for Chickenhead's party tomorrow. It's going to be a lot of fun, and I'll be sure to post pictures here. Throwing a party is exhausting work! A part of me wants to hole up in the bedroom with a bottle of Arbor Mist (cuz I'm classy like that) and decompress after the festivities, but more likely than not I'll be uploading photos and not getting much else done.

My momma has had a better week than last week She's been testing four times a day, and has been trying harder to watch her blood sugar. We talked last night, and I had her sign the power of attorney. Why did I feel kind of sleazy having her sign that? I felt bad that she was reading it, and I don't think she really understood what it all meant, and I explained to her that God willing, we will never have to use it.

Oh and holy crap, Ed McMahon died, too! I can still recall the theme music from The Tonight Show, and Ed's booming voice saying 'Heerrree's Johnny!' I knew that when I heard that, I was up too late on a school night.

4 comments:

Carol said...

Sadly Farrah will no longer be a headline story!

Fannie said...

My girls made fun of me, but I got a little misty when I heard about Michael Jackson. I just don't think about the whackadoodle later years.

Came here after noting at The Colony that we're the only two representing Kansas. Sheesh.

Lurker Girl said...

Good Luck with the party tomorrow--a bunch of screaming 9 year old boys--God help you!!! I'd be mainlining Smirnoff if I were in your shoes

Lola said...

My grandmother almost had a stroke when she came into my room during my Confirmation party. I had Michael Jackson posters all over the walls. It was the time.

I hope the weather cooperates and you have a great party.