Monday, July 6, 2009

Fireworks

I hope everyone had a fun, safe Fourth of July. Ours was a combination of good and bad. Pull up a chair and a box of wine, and I'll tell you all aobut it...

So Friday I'm killing time at work when I get a call from my MIL, telling me that my Momma may be on the warpath. Seems that my mom had misplaced her reading glasses and asked for help looking for them. While searching for them, my MIL found a large container of nuts and a bag of candy bars. Things that my momma does NOT need to be eating. MIL told my momma that she would keep them in the kitchen, but she didn't think it was a good idea for mom to have them in her room. And then it was on! My momma accused my MIL of stealing, started going on about how much she hates living with us, that she wants out, how much she hates the Husband, etc. I felt bad for my MIL. She came over voluntarily to help, and my mom is talking trash about her son?

I'll be honest, I was fuming over this. My MIL did give my mom her stuff back, becuase like I told the MIL, my momma is going to do whatever she wants no matter how much we try to help her. This was the realization I came to this weekend- I can't fix my momma's issues, no matter how much I may want to.

My mom has been unhappy for as long as I can remember. Thinking back as far as I can, she's never been what you would call 'positive'. I don't think she's ever been diagnosed, but I really think she's been suffering severe depression for decades.Unfortunately, her negativity affects everyone around her, and it's getting more and more difficult to live with. I finally sat down with her last night, and told her that if she was truly as miserable living with us as what she tells everyone else, I would help her find somewhere else to live. I told her that while I loved her, I didn't like the way she was letting her unhappiness affect everyone else in my home, especially Chickenhead. Of course, she was mad and vowed to 'get out of this crazy house'. Will she really move out? Who knows? She did apologize to my MIL this morning, so that was a step in the right direction, I suppose.

As for the positive parts of the weekend, well, they were pretty sweet. Saturday evening we headed out to the lake to watch the fireworks over the water. We stopped along the way to let Chickenhead pick out some fireworks for him and his cousins to shoot. What is it about boys and fire? I think they would have blown stuff up all night long if we had let them. Yesterday was a lazy day for everyone. Chickenhead slept late and we vegged out in the Manhole watching the Lord of the Rings movies.

I even managed to squeeze in a couple of hours to work on some scrapbook projects. I was in the zone! I put on the headphones and had a grand old time, dancing and scrapping. I think I need to do that more often!

No comments: