Monday, August 10, 2009

Finding My Way

I'm going to start this post off with a disclaimer. I never intended this to be Kelley's Pity-Party Blog, and I will be trying very hard to keep it off of the road to that hoopla. Over the past week, whenever I would sit down to write, I couldn't do it. I don't want this to be just my woe is me, whine, whine, whine blog, you know?

So, first let's have a brief rundown of what's been going on with my mom. She's been diagnosed with dementia. But. I think this was more of a case of the drs at the hospital just wanting to move her along, already, so they could free up a bed at the hospital. We have not been told specifically what type of dementia, although I suspect it's more Lewy Bodies Dementia as opposed to Alzheimer's. I made an appointment with her neurologist for later this month so that we can discuss it in depth, and find out if she will be able to take the medications that will slow the progression.

On the other hand, though, I don't doubt that it is dementia. My mom's short term memory is bad, she has problems with finding words when she talks, and she has a lot of trouble with time, trying to figure out dates and times and when things happened, etc.

After a couple of really rough days, she's starting to adapt to the nursing center. She's got a routine there, and she's getting used to it. She still doesn't like it, she never will, but she's there, and she's willing to do the work she needs to do to get well enough to come home. Some of her complaints on day two of her stay were-

"This place is full of old people!" (really?)
"A bunch of foreigners work here, I can't tell what the hell they're saying!"
"The food is horrible, I refused to eat breakfast because it's so awful" (No. What really happened was she tried to go by herself to the dining room and got lost. Then when they got her to where she was supposed to go, she had New Kid Syndrome and none of the cool kids would let her sit at their table. I guess cliques never really go away.)


In other news around the Casa, school starts one week (!!) from today. I'm not ready, Chickenhead is not ready. Supplies? Nope, haven't bought them yet. Clothes? Well I heard that Old Navy has jeans for $10, so I guess we need to head over there. And the Foot Locker outlet store for some half price Nikes. Chickenhead might be ready for school by September if we're lucky. Just kidding! No. Really.

All in all though, we are all coping. Chickenhead misses his grandma, and doesn't like hanging out at the nursing center. All those old ladies are eyeballing his cheeks and he's afraid he's going to get pinched to death. The Husband has been incredibly supportive, and willing to head up to the center for a visit without me asking. I think we will all make it, in our own way.

1 comment:

Carol said...

It is progress! It is all positive progress!