Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Just Plain Nuts



The past week or so has been hectic. So hectic in fact, that there are a few days that I don't really know for sure what all I've been up to. With that in mind, here's what I do know:

I've decided to do a bit of digging around on the baby that my mom gave up for adoption. Am I going to tell my mom? No. Not yet, anyway. If I can find this now grown baby girl, and IF she wants to meet us, then I will tell mom. If she doesn't want to know who her birth mother is, or have a relationship with me, I'm ok with that, and I'll simply tell mom that I know about the adoption, and that she shouldn't feel shame or guilt for what she did. Mostly, I want to know if my sister (that still sounds very strange) was fortunate enough to be adopted by a kind and loving family, and if she had a good childhood and was happy.

Mom is still in the nursing and rehab center. We're not sure when she'll be coming home, but she's doing much better attitude-wise, and is working hard at physical therapy. My heart breaks a little every time I go to see her, though. She's gotten so old so quickly. She's become frail and in some ways, childlike.

This past weekend, we finally got around to going back to school shopping for Chickenhead. Dear Lord. A piece of advice- Do NOT go to Wal-Mart the day before school starts. It is not pretty. There was lots of shouting and crying and screaming and fighting, and the kids weren't behaving themselves, either. Thankfully, though, we made it and Chickenhead started school Monday fully kitted out. He likes his teacher, and best of all, his best friend AJ is back at our school. Seth & McLovin are back!

Chickenhead is playing football, and has practice three nights a week. If you've never been in the presence of a sweaty, dirty 9-year old boy, it's quite an experience. I usually just march him in to the laundry room to get the equipment off and the clothes in the wash, and then straight in to the shower he goes. If there were a way to wash him and his clothes at once, I would love it. The gear, oy. The 'gear' consists of nylon/spandex blend pants, two pair, a padded shirt, and padded arm protectors and knee pads. This stuff is expensive and high maintenance. It must be cleaned much as one would clean say, and heirloom wedding gown. Everything must be washed in cold water on the delicate cycle with no fabric softener. The pads must not touch when they are wet. How am I supposed to stop that from happening? The gear must be tumbled dry on low and removed as soon as the dryer buzzes. Whatever. I wash the stuff and throw it in the dryer and go to bed.

So, that's what's going on around here. Laundry, work, home, laundry, the nursing home, laundry, yardwork and laundry. If anything else happens, there better not be a load of laundry involved.

2 comments:

Claire Brennan said...

Wow, you got a lot going on...big hugs and I wish you the energy and strength to get through it all.

Kelley said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Claire! I just found your blog the other day, and I love your stamps! I may have found where to spend any birthday money I get!