Sunday, November 8, 2009

Men I Like- The Reluctant Honkytonk Edition

Let me start off by saying that I have never been much of a fan of modern country music, or of most country music in general. I've been exposed to country music for most of my life though, and can remember my great-grandma listening to folks like Buck Owens, Loretta Lynn, etc., on the radio in her kitchen.

By the time I grew up (was 19), I was too cool for country music. I was in to L.A. hair bands, and the new wave and goth bands from the U.K. Country music simply was not on my radar. But then my friend Beth introduced me to this guy-



Yep, Dwight Yoakam. His music was not only a throwback to the country music that I remembered hearing in my grandma's kitchen, it was also firmly rooted in modern rockabilly, so it wasn't the cliched, easy listening type country music that was so popular in the late 80s. Beth and I went with her mom to see him in concert, and it was more like a rock concert than anything else. He has wonderful stage presence, and I'm still trying to figure out how he gets in to those jeans of his.

Dwight is a deceptive fellow, though. His album covers always tend to focus on his long, skinny legs with the painted on denim, or Dwight giving you some 'come hither' side eye from underneath his cowboy hat.



And about that cowboy hat of his...Now I don't have a problem with men who are bald, hell the Husband is follically challenged himself. But Dwight Yoakam seems to undergo some sort of transformation when his hat is removed. What was once brooding and mysteriously sexy is now this-


I loved Dwight's acting in 'Slingblade', I have to admit. He could not have played that role with his cowboy hat on. But I just don't know. I think I need for him to keep the hat on.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Girl, we agree!!! On the part that back in the day he was something else....I saw him back then, in concert...those long skinny legs sliding across the saw dust covered stage...good times!