Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ready Or Not- Here It Comes!

Well, the flurry of holiday events begins unoficially tonight at the Casa. Tonight is the 4th Grade Recorder concert at Chickenhead's school. I hope he's been doing a better job practicing the recorder than he has the cello. The program is called 'Recorder Karate'. Does this mean I will want someone to bash me over the head with a recorder so I don't have to be subjected to an hour of the screeching, out of tune din that can only come from 60 9-year olds with plastic whistles?

I was excited to find out last night at 9:45 that the one pair of dress pants that Chickenhead has are not only too tight, but they're too short as well. So guess who gets to make a timed sprint through the Walmarts to procure new pants and a dress shirt before 7:00 PM tonight? Me,that's who! Yes, you're jealous, I can tell. But wait there's more, because after the concert, we get to go to the grocery store and buy everything we need for Thanksgiving dinner, which our family is having on this coming Saturday.

Our excitement doesn't end there, though. Tomorrow night is the Space Derby at Chickenhead's Cub Scout pack meeting. The Space Derby is a lot like the annual Pinewood Derby, only this time, all the Scout dads are making rockets and not wooden cars. How is it that an adult man can not balance a checkbook, but can rattle off the physics and aerodynamics of a little fake rocket?

Friday night, I've got a fun (and possibly tequila)filled evening planned in the kitchen. I'm going to be getting as many dishes prepped ahead of time as I possibly can. For those of you interested in this sort of thing, here's what we will be eating-

The Casa DeChaos Thanksgiving Family Freak-Fest 2009 Menu-

Turkey (soaked in gin and stuffed with prozac){Sorry, that would be me!}
Mashed potatoes
Gravy (gluten free)
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green Beans
Corn
Broccoli Rice Casserole
Stuffing
Rolls
Veggies n dip
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Babybel Cheese (I could live on those little cheese things!)
Pie

My MIL has been sick with bronchitis and the flu, which is a blessing in disguise. Now don't get me wrong, I want her to get better, and to be able to join us. It's just not a holiday without the hurricane that is my MIL tearing though the Casa with a van-load of food, dripping ham glaze though my house and all over my freshly mopped floors. Nothing says 'Thanksgiving' like finding one of her press-on nails in my ice bin. But with her being sick, there's a greater chance that she won't feel like baking, and that's a good thing. Over the years, many of us have gotten sick from eating her pumpkin pie, but we're too afraid of upsetting her to say anything.

I'm hoping to take a breather on Sunday. And, I've got three days off next week as I took two vacation days before Thanksgiving. I'll be spending that time dragging all the Christmas decorations upstairs and cursing while putting up the tree and the lights, etc. Because nothing reminds me of the holiday season my like unleashing a constant stream of curse words and random screams of frustration. Good times! Hope the upcoming holidays are as special and as memorable for you!

3 comments:

Lola said...

May I suggest 2 strategically placed cotton balls for the concert tonight? Lol!

Lurker Girl said...

OHhh--dinner sounds good, what time should I be there?? !!! I'm on vacation all next week too and am looking forward to every minute of it!

cathycan said...

Are you sure that's enough food?? Just kidding!!! Sounds like us, except the press-on nails would be my sister's.
Kudos to you for taking a day off! I'm going to follow your example!