Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I Choose Joy

I just want to take a moment from my ogling and fantasizing about Anderson Cooper to reflect on something.

One of my most favorite quotes comes from 13th-century Persian poet/philosopher, Rumi. "The hurt you embrace becomes joy". For a long time, I didn't quite fully understand those words, even though they touched my heart.

Over the past couple of weeks, though, the true meaning of this has become clear to me. When I wrote my blog entry for December 31, I had no idea how my words would impact others. I really just wrote it to free myself of something that had been sucking my spirit dry for years. On New Year's day, a relative called, in tears because she had read my blog. Of course she had no idea that this was part of my past. I felt bad that I had upset her, but she felt bad for me! Since then, others who have read that entry have been incredibly kind and supportive, and have said nothing but encouraging, hopeful words to me. For every one's support, I thank you.

I learned to embrace something that had caused me a lot of pain, and I let it go. And in doing so, I have found an indescribable joy, clarity and peace becuase of my decision to write those words. Our lives are what we choose them to be, and every day, we can make the choice to be happy or not. I choose to be happy, I choose joy.

And now I'm choosing to go back to staring at that picture of Anderson Cooper, so carry on!

4 comments:

Carol said...

How did I miss this post? I wish I could hug you right now my sista! ANYTHING YOU EVER NEED.....you know I'm there! Love ya C~

Kelley said...

I know! And ditto!

Mommas Soapbox said...

That is so true! It is a choice and I choose Joy with ya girl!!

Mrs. G. said...

Sometimes we do just have to except the suckish things we've dealt with and try to make some sort of hay with them.

Choosing joy is healthy. So is admiring Anderson Cooper!