Saturday, January 16, 2010

Right Now...

Right now, there is nothing going on at the Casa that is more important than what is going on in Haiti. The devastation is at times, incomprehensible. I have been appalled at the comments made by American idiots at large, Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh. I'm not going to dwell on them though, because in the end, their words, their hate and their ignorance will come back to haunt them. Karma's a bitch, boys.

I cried watching the news this morning, hearing that an 11-year old girl who was pulled from the rubble died after she was transferred to a hospital. I cried tears of happiness while watching a report on an 18-month old baby girl who was pulled out of the rubble and survived, and was reunited with her uncle. He's the only living relative she has now. I cried because I have so much, and there are so many who have nothing.

I am reminded of the saying that no one person can do everything, but together, we can all do something. I made a $10 donation to the American Red Cross by texting 'HAITI' to 90999. I know first hand how difficult times are here for us in the States. But I encourage everyone to donate whatever you can. There are few events in our lifetime that require us all to pause our ignorance, our prejudices and selfishness for a while and stand together for a cause. I think this is one of those times we need to stand together.

For a complete list of legitimate organizations you can donate to, please check out this list at CBS' web site.

In a gentle way, you can shake the world. - Gandhi


**Edit- Also, you can play the Free Rice game down on the left side of my blog, or go to their site and your clicks will go towards helping out with food in Haiti. Free Rice helps to support the United Nations World Food Programme, so not only will you learn a thing or two, but sitting on your butt here in front of the computer will actually help out!

2 comments:

phd in yogurtry said...

Thanks for posting the link to the the website. I've been wanting to donate, and not being a texter (I know, pathetic much?) I wasn't sure where to go.

phd in yogurtry said...

Oh, and as for Limpballs pathetic projection, I mean, comment, just this morning I was pleased and smirkish to read a NYTimes bulletin:

"Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush have been
asked by President Obama to lead a relief effort to aid
Haiti's earthquake victims."

The two former presidents announced the Clinton Bush Haiti
Fund to help raise money for Haitians suffering from the
devastating earthquake that struck Jan. 12. A Web site is at
www.clintonbushhaitifund.org.

In fact, now that I re-read this, I think I'll go to the clintonbush fundraising site.