Thursday, March 4, 2010

Life In The Fast Lane (is slowing me down)

So, my blogging has been sporadic as of late. It seems like I just haven't had enough time lately. Where does all the time go, was I always stretched this thin? Why am I not thin, what with all this stretching?

Anyway, I will briefly summarize the MIL story:

My MIL, while good intentioned, has some personal issues that quite often lead her to make some not so wise choices. You would think, that being 60 years old, she would have learned by now that lying and deception never really get you anywhere. But I guess she loves a good challenge, because she never stops trying. Maybe I should admire her determination to beat the system and stick it to the man every chance she gets.

After being married to The Husband for 15 years, I have pretty much learned to take anything his mother tells me, divide it in half and subtract six, and then I might have an inkling of what the truth is. After being in the hospital for four days because of a diabetic episode, she came to stay with us. Let me say right here that I am not a diabetic, but I'm not stupid. I know that if you say, drink two 12-packs of Coke, eat a tub of caramel sauce, an entire loaf of bread and frozen dinners, your diabetes is not 'under control' no matter how often you test or how diligently you take your insulin. Insulin does not cancel out the Coke.

Whenever my MIL comes over, I'll admit it, I become a nervous wreck. I'm always waiting for something to happen, like finding one of her fake fingernails in an ice cube or having to listen to her dry heave all night long. This time though, she crossed the line. She slept in my bed. IN MY BED! Am I the only one that has an issue with someone else sleeping in their bed? Am I the only Momma Bear out there? Maybe it wouldn't have bothered me so much if she hadn't moved my nightstand so that she could plug in her cell phone, and I know I wouldn't have come unglued if she hadn't left the used kleenex under my pillow. But when I asked her about it and she gave me not one, but three (3!!) BS excuses in less than five minutes, I knew that I. Was. Done.

I know that a lot of her issues are caused by a combination of uncontrolled diabetes and some other medical issues, so please don't mis-understand me. I do want to see her get well and stay well. But, medical issues are no excuse for not respecting someone else's privacy. When that boundary got crossed, I lost respect. The whole episode is over now, and she's back home, and doing relatively well, all things considering.

In other Casa news, I think we're going to go house shopping this weekend. It's hard for me to get excited about it right now. Everything isn't as firm with the bank as I thought it was, so I don't want to fall in love with some house only to find out we wouldn't be able to get it. I don't like being in limbo!

Chickenhead is still growing his hair for Locks of Love. I'm anxious to see how long he will actually do this. He mentioned in passing that he has a strings concert coming up at the local high school, but he doesn't know when it is. Which means, much like the show in January, we'll be running around at the last minute trying to find something for him to wear. He thinks it's the 19th. Of March. Or maybe April. Guess I'd better email the strings teacher, huh?

2 comments:

cathycan said...

You know, here I was, feeling bad about a number of things and you come along with your crazy mother in law.
I feel so much better. Sorry (: }

p.s. Change the sheets

Mommas Soapbox said...

I think your mother in law may be my mother in laws twin sister. LOL