Monday, April 26, 2010

Escape!

This past weekend, I was able to get away from it all for a little while. On Saturday, I packed up all my supplies and went scrapping with my friends! It had been ages since I had been able to sit down and work on some pages, and it seems like it had been even longer since I had hung out with my girlies. I missed them! I think we spent more time laughing and eating than we did scrapping, but that's OK. We always have fun whenever we're together.

One of the best things about our get-togethers is the food! There were honey-pecan li'l smokies, regular li'l smokies, some amazing dips, these incredible cream-cheese cinnamon roll ups that my friend (and host this time) Dyna makes (I've got to get this recipe, it's super simple), and I made cupcakes. But not just any cupcakes, I wanted to try something different this time.


I love making the unexpected, and this time I really did it with french toast and bacon cupcakes! I don't usually toot my own horn when it comes to my cooking, but beep, beep, baby, because these were good! The cupcake part is made with extra cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla for the french toast flavor. The frosting was a fantastic maple buttercream that was super easy to make. The garnish? The bacon, of course! I found the recipe here. It was written very clearly, and was very easy to follow. If you don't want to bake from scratch, you could probably get a similar result from a yellow cake mix, just adding the vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Once I got home, I ran down to the Manhole to spend time with the Husband and Chickenhead. I expected Butters to be on her wheel, running her little legs off. But she wasn't. I looked around in her cage and I didn't see her. Then I looked at the side of her cage- the little lookout hatch was open!! Butters had escaped! I casually asked, 'hey, where's Butters?' You would have thought I had yelled, 'FIRE!!', because Chickenhead and the Husband jumped up from their respective perches in .05 seconds. Poor Chickenhead started freaking out and crying, because he was sure Butters was dead. I calmed him down by telling him that if he was upset, it would scare Butters and it would make it harder to find her. The Husband and I began searching, but it was Chickenhead that found her. Butters hadn't gotten far- she was under the coffee table, less than 5 feet from the table her cage is on. After we got her back in her cage, I decided that I had had enough excitement for one day, and I went to bed.

Chickenhead stayed down in the Manhole as they were watching horror movies. Of course, around 3:30, he came in to my room asking if he could sleep with me, using the excuse of Butters' wheel keeping him awake. I'm sure that was a small part of it, I think it was more the scary movies than anything else!

Probably just like Butters, I'm plotting my next escape, too!

1 comment:

qandlequeen said...

YUM! Those sound like wonderful cupCAKES!