Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I Read More Than Just The Internet (really!)

So I thought I would try writing a book review every once in a while. I love to read all kinds of books, and I decided that if I read something that really moved me, I would share it with you. OK, here we go...

The Kindness of Strangers, by Katrina Kittle

This is the story of Sarah Laden, a recently widowed mother to boys, 11-year old Danny, and 17-year old Nate. Set in a small Ohio town, Sarah is a professional caterer still trying to get over the death of her husband Ned. Her close friend, Courtney Kendrick, has been right at Sarah's side the entire time.

Sarah's world spins out of control the day she finds Courtney's son Jordan trying to run away from home. The events that follow make Sarah and her sons question everything they know about the people they love and trust.

Without giving away more of the story, I will warn you that this book deals very frankly with the subject of sexual abuse. While Katrina Kittle doesn't go in to graphic detail, there's more than enough detail to make you (well, me anyway)uncomfortable. I think this book could definitely be a trigger for someone who has suffered similar abuse.

That being said, I read the book in about two days. Was it that well-written? No, but the story was compelling, without being too much of a trainwreck. The story focuses mainly on Sarah, her son Nate, Courtney's son Jordan. I'll admit, I wasn't thrilled with how the lead character, Sarah, was written; she comes off as being way too naive and too trusting. Maybe that was the author's intent all along, but I found myself thinking, 'God, what a dumbass!' more than once.

If nothing else, 'The Kindness of Strangers' is a story of healing. All of the characters had individual obstacles in their lives that they were struggling to overcome. I would recommend it with a warning; if you don't think you can handle the abuse aspect, take a pass on this one. The subject matter is heart-breaking, no matter how delicately it's handled.

2 comments:

yogurt said...

You had me at "two days." Who can resist a "can't put it down" book? I don't have enough of those in my life. Though the one I posted about qualifies and I was tickled pink.

lifeinredshoes said...

I'm sure glad I'm not the only one that thinks dumbass when I'm reading:)