Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Things Get Interesting...

OK, so. As I was riding the bus home tonight, I was checking email on my phone. I had a message from someone on Facebook. I didn't recognize the name, so I opened up the email. The gentleman asked if I was related to Judith Ann G (my mom) from KCK. I tried to think- was this someone maybe mom had worked with at the community center or at the bank? I replied that yes, she was my mom, but I was sorry to say that she had passed away. I asked if he knew her.

The reply I got could have knocked me over with a feather. If I had not been on the bus, I'm pretty sure I would have screamed! He replied that no, he did not know my mother but...he was born on June 9, 1977. He had adoption paperwork with my mom's name on it. My mom had a son, NOT a daughter! I have a brother!

We discussed so much and still have much more to learn from each other. He's married with a family, has a good job and loves life. He's not bitter or resentful of the fact that Mom gave him up for adoption at all. He was blessed to have been adopted in to a loving family, with lots of brothers and sisters and parents who truly cared.

We talked about our kids, our lives, almost anything we could think of. We're going to meet this coming weekend. I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time, will let him determine how close he wants to be, how much he wants to know. I'm determined not to pressure him in any way.

Isn't it funny? He called on his birthday, almost 7 months to the day after Mom's passing. All this time I was fretting over looking for what I thought was my sister, I actually had a brother who has lived in the area his entire life. When he found Mom's name on his adoption papers, he had found me online within about 30 minutes.

I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason, and that things fall in to place exactly when they are meant to. My life never ceases to amaze me!

7 comments:

Lurker Girl said...

OMG Kel! Such exciting news! I hope your meeting goes well. Keep things neutral and see how it goes.

What a discovery--but God works in mysterious ways--perhaps he wanted this to be the way you found out--because you would have been searching for a girl, not a boy.

It was meant for you to meet!!

Nadine said...

Kelley, wow! What a crazy/awesome development.
I wish you both the best.

thisamericantourist said...

Wow! What a thing to learn, and what a way (and place) to learn it! I hope this brings some peace to your life, and answers to your questions.

cathycan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cathycan said...

whoops, I need to edit before I hit submit.
wow, I got chills and tears when I read your news!
I hope this experience is what you've hoped for, and what you need.
Is it that easy to find someone on google or did the fact that you are a semi-famous blogger help? ; )

Kelley said...

LOL! Semi-famous?! Hee-hee!

I think it was pure luck! I think he probably stumbled upon my family tree on ancestry.com. It's the only thing that would be on the web that would have both Mom's name and mine, as well as our ages. However it happened, the planets were all aligned in the right way, and for that I am grateful!

qandlequeen said...

That is wild. And yes things do happen for a reason.