Sunday, October 3, 2010

Yay Fall!

Ahhh, at last! Fall is here! And it seems like we're having a proper autumn this year, too. Cool nights and crisp, sunny days. I very much enjoy this weather, especially after the heat we had all summer long.

Things are going pretty good. Chickenhead is still doing well with school and has joined a bowling league. Nothing serious, just a chance to get together with other home-schooled kids once a week to have some fun. He enjoys it and looks forward to it.

I've been working on getting his old bedroom switched over to my craft room and it's slow going. It seemed like we would never get all the crap out of there, and now it seems like I'll never get my crap moved in! I just keep telling myself that slowly but surely, it will all get done. And it will. There's nothing but time, right?

I'm trying to keep on crafting, even though a lot of my stuff is packed away, but it's hard. It seems like the things I want to use are always at the bottom of the box, or stuffed way back in the drawer. But I didn't let it stop me yesterday. The mood hit me and I went with it, and I came up with this-


The geisha design was embossed using my Cuttlebug, then colored in with colored pencils. I was interested to see how this would turn out, and I have to admit, I'm rather pleased.

And since I had the Cuttlebug out, I decided to try something else that I've been wanting to experiment with, embossing foil. And it's really easy! I simply took a piece of cardstock, wrapped it in regular aluminum foil, and ran it through the Cuttlebug. It worked!


I couldn't take a very good pic of this one, so you can't really tell that the foil is tinted purple. I used Ranger's alcohol inks, and they work great on foil! This project was so much fun, I'm going to be doing a lot more with foil. It would look great for Christmas cards. The butterflies and the flowers were all stamped and then shaded in with colored pencils.

I realized today that I'm quickly coming up on the one year anniversary of my mom's death. I can't believe it's been a year, already. So much has happened since she passed, more than I ever could have imagined. I hope she's at peace, and I hope she knows that I don't blame her for the choices that she made. She did the best thing she could do at the time, and thankfully, my brother has grown to become a pretty amazing human being. I'm so grateful that he's a part of my life now, and that we have the chance now to know each other.

2 comments:

Lurker Girl said...

Do you use watercolor pencils? I loved using them and taking a blender pen to the markings--it always looked so pretty. You are very talented! I wish I could say that I miss card making and scrapbooking, but I don't--not a bit.

I have decided that I want to learn how to knit though-so I am looking for a class somewhere. I'm nuts, I know!

Kelley said...

Thank you! Yes, I use water color pencils sometimes, I love blending them, too. I understand completely what you mean about not missing it. I feel the same way about counted-cross stitch. Knitting is easy- you'll love it! Scarves for everyone for Christmas!!