Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to The Coffee Shop

OK, I don't know how much detail I should go in to about this, because I've got an attorney and all that, but here goes.

Last Friday I was on my lunch hour and had just been to the library. I was cold from my walk because Kansas City has turned in to a frozen, snowed over hell, and I thought that at cup of coffee (white mocha with a shot of raspberry to be specific) and a triple-berry muffin from Scooter's would hit the spot nicely. Scooter's is conveniently located across the street from my office. Yay, Scooter's!

So. I waited at the corner of the intersection for the light to change. My light turned green, and I had the 'WALK' signal, but I waited for a car to turn left (which also had the same green light) before I went. I was about a third of the way in to the cross-walk, when BAM!! I had been hit! It knocked me to the ground, and someone was screaming their fool head off. I think that was me!

A nice man from the city waterworks dept. came over from his jobsite across the street and helped me up. He also called 911. The woman who was driving her car didn't get out right away. But when she did, she kept trying to get me to sit in her car. Chickenhead theorizes that she did this in an attempt to kidnap me! Please if someone ever kidnaps me, let them be a really good-looking guy. Not some old lady that I think may have been on her cell phone. She kept apologizing and told me repeatedly that she just didn't see me in the cross-walk. Really? I am not the smallest woman in the world, I think I would be hard to miss. Anyway, I wasn't getting in her car because I had to call the Husband and tell him what had happened. Who doesn't like to get a phone call from their spouse that starts off with "don't freak out but..."? He told me to keep my cool and he would meet me at the hospital.

But I digress. The firetruck came, the police came, the ambulance came. My right leg and ankle were killing me. The paramedics had me climb in to the ambulance and they looked at my leg, poked around at my ankle and said, 'yeah, I think you're OK'. Easy for you to say when your foot isn't swelling up like a balloon in your shoe. I said I thought I would feel better if I could go to the hospital and get some x-rays just to make sure nothing was broken. The police officer came in to the ambulance and asked if I wanted to file a report. Really? OK, thankfully I haven't been in this kind of situation before, and I hope not to be again, but why are they even asking me this? I mean holy shit, she fucking hit me with her car!! (Pardon my french!) So yes, I filed a report and the paramedics shouted 'road trip!' when I told them I wanted to go to a hospital that was close to my home.

I was surprised at how quickly I was in and out of the ER. They took x-rays, which required me to contort my lower body in some extreme yoga-like poses, and I had to strip down to my undies, which is always a good time. The nurses told me that I could either let them take off my jeans or they could cut them off. I got them off myself, thank you very much. Luckily, nothing was broken, but I have a pretty badly sprained ankle.

I still have a lot of swelling, and the bruising is pretty bad on my right leg, and for a few days now, I've had some numbness and tingling in my leg, which I hope will go away. I still haven't gotten to go to Scooter's! The Husband and Chickenhead have been WONDERFUL, helping me out around the house. They are awesome! I'm going to try to go back to work next week, and I'm going to be extra super cautious around intersections now. Yield to the pedestrians, people!

5 comments:

Lola said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you were hit by a car. That had to be awful. What really irks me about it is that the woman was on a cell phone. I was in an accident the middle of last month. I got rear ended by...wait for it...a teenager on a cell phone. He hit me so hard he pushed me into the car in front of me and pushed that car into the car in front of it. I too had a little meet and greet with the local paramedics and was whisked to the hospital via ambulance, but not until after I had chatted with the teenager and was about to see how the other drivers were and my legs turned to jello. I got my car back last night, right before closing and of course there is a bunch of shyt wrong with it and I have to bring it back today. My rental car is supposed to be picked up this morning from the body shop so I was up at 5am leaving messages at the body shop, car rental place telling them not to pick up the rental car. I called my claims adjuster (at 5:30am no less) to discuss the issues and get them to authorize another day's car rental. I've got a hospital appointment for my daughter today and a job interview this afternoon. I haven't slept much because I'm worried about missing these appointments today and of course because I'm stressed my back, which was injured in the accident is acting up terribly. Who releases a car with a headlight and tail light out (amongst other issues)?

Oh and my word verification is:
"cryome"

I kid you not!

Kelley said...

Lola, I'm sorry to hear you were in an accident! Honestly, I think all the BS afterward is worse than the accident itself. Good luck with your job interview! And feel better soon!

Lurker Girl said...

I am just SO glad you are ok--it could hvae been so much worse, so thank your deity that it was just a sprained ankle.

Dealing with the aftermath will make you want to go into a coma for a while though. That is always such a mess.

Hang in there--at least you didn't have to be out in the ice and cold --so that is a plus for the lat few days.

Kelly said...

At least the lady who hit you stopped. My son was in a crosswalk when he was hit by a car and the driver took off, running over his bicycle and dragging it under her car for about 1/2 mile. She was caught but the case still isn't settled and it's been 4 months.

I hope everything goes well for you.

Kelley said...

OMG, Kelly! I'm sorry to hear about your son. And really, who tries to drive off when they're dragging a bike along with them? Honestly...

I hope he's doing better, and I hope the wheels of justice move a little bit more quickly for you all!