Saturday, December 29, 2012

Intentions

Are intentions different than resolutions?  If I intend to do something this coming year, does that carry more commitment behind it, than if I just say 'I resolve to...'? 

I hope it does, because for 2013, there are some very simple things that I intend to do.  Some of my intentions are simple, mundane things, like being more organized, or making an effort to write something here every day(because I really like to write, but have no good reason for not doing it).  But other intentions are harder, or more complex.

For example, it is my intention to turn off, or at the very least turn down, my inner negative voice.  This is the voice that calls my BIL 'D-bag' instead of his real name.  It's the same voice responsible for other negative thoughts that blip through my brain, and quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing it.  I'm realistic enough though, to know that I can't be Miss Sally Sunshine all the time, that's just not me.  Hopefully, I can reign in the snark just a bit, and be a little bit easier on myself in the process.  But if I have something really good to tell you, like a good MIL story, I'm gonna tell it!

Instead of resolving to 'lose weight and eat healthier' (haven't we all made that resolution?), it's my intention this year to be kinder to myself, by making healthy choices when it comes to food and exercise.  It's my intention to indulge in the foods that I really, really, love- but only once in a while.  If there's one thing I've learned about myself over the years, it's that I have to gradually ease into change.  There's no way I could go on a diet and have any success.  It will be easier for me if I break it down in to smaller steps. 

There are so many things that I still want to do in this life of mine, and while I may not get to do all of them, it's my intention this year, to put myself on the path to fulfilling a couple of my dreams.  What about you?  What do you intend to do in this new year?


2 comments:

Rainbow Motel said...

Yes, yes, and YES to everything you just said. I only wish I had thought to call my own BIL D-Bag. It totally fits.

Kelley said...

Well, I'm trying not to use it, so if you need to, feel free! :)